Thursday, May 19, 2011

A Heretic? Maybe.

So today started off pretty much the same as everyday - I wondered whether I was a heretic.  Yeah, I awoke to the usual fears of being labelled as a heretic - a blasphemer - a scourge upon the Christian world.  Didn't you?  Doesn't everyone?  Well perhaps I am being a bit facitious but I have been wondering lately whether I am in fact a heretic ( someone who believes bad things about scripture - or wrong things -  or "depends on who you ask" things).  Seems like a worthy concern after all being a heretic comes with some steep consequences - like burning at the stake.  This was a practice that was done some years ago during the time when you had to get up and change the TV manually -  well maybe a little further back.  But that is what was done in the name of God (which god it was has always confused me).  If the cable was out and there was nothing else to do you could hear this at many a watering hole  "Hey things is a littleth boring these days lettuth go gittith us some heretics to burn".  So for many a so-called good reason people were tied to a stake with some bundles of hay or other dry tinder  (I hear straw works best) around them and then someone with a bic lighter would draw the lucky penny that would give them this great privilege to burn the heretic.   Now I love a great weenie roast just like the next guy but this is a little extreme - okay more than little extreme.

This may not  be quite exactly how it was done but you get the point.  How ludicrous were people to think that lighting someone on fire was actually going to please God - the one in the bible - you know Jesus - the strangely wise carpenter that spoke of mercy and love.  How could they have thought that using someone as a Roman candle was helpful to further the gospel and advance God's kingdom?  Had they never heard of the barbaric tortures and merciless persecutions of Christians under Nero and other emperors?  It seems not.

These were different times though. Stressfull times when getting the right shine on your shoe buckle was supremely important lest you be shunned and those hats well who could blame them really.  Those hats must have caused some temporary brain cramping (I am speaking of pilgrim hats - and they had buckles as well - oh the humanity!).  So you see for me it is a fairly big issue to be labelled a heretic.  Besides I really do not think that I could handle all the shunning - I shudder to think of the shunning!

I realize that in the world, at least in North America, that heretic burnings are a thing of the past so why would I be concerned with being a heretic?  Simply because although the burnings and tortures do not occur any longer the labelling still does and because of that persecution will still happen (remember my fear of shunning - that still happens).  The reason that being a heretic has been more on my thoughts lately is because of a book I have read recently.  This book has gotten quite the attention from the Christian world and its writer has been called in some circles a heretic.  Is the author in danger of being tied to a stake and lit up like greek saganaki?  Not literally but certainly metaphorically from some I am sure.  So where do I fit in?  Well I loved the book. I agreed with what was written and so I stand I suppose at risk of the flames with the author - Rob Bell.  The book is Love Wins

I agree with Rob's belief that love wins. I agree that there is much  in stark contradiction with scripture in today's pop-christianity. I agree that there are some things about salvation that are still a mystery.  This is not  intended to incite anyone or add fuel to the proverbial fire (no fire please) but I am confused by the amount of people who will condemn this man as a heretic and they have never even turned a page in his book. This is the greatest of concerns.

Since the Christ walked the earth there has been discussion and debate concerning who he is, what he has come to do and what it means for humanity.  Has Rob Bell done anything different than what many do around coffee and pastries?  Has he done anything different from what the church fathers did centuries ago?  Is there anyone out there that would say that they are 100% correct in their theology? (bad question to ask - as there will no doubt be someone who says yes -  but I think they would be wrong). Rob Bell has simply offered his take (interpretation) on Scripture, Jesus and what he means for humanity.  Has he done anything worse than the radio evangelist who thinks that the rapture is going to happen on Saturday May 21, 2011?  I think not. (Psst, I may not believe in the Rapture - I suppose I will find out Saturday)

I loved his book and highly recommend it for someone who struggles with the inconsistencies, tensions, condemnation and judgement that they see in religion but is not reflected in or based upon Scripture.

If you read this book and disagree, that is your right. Comment  if you like. If you do disagree remember just because you shout the loudest does not mean you are any more correct in your understanding.  If you disagree and have not read the book - there is nothing for us to talk about - in regard to the book.

When Jesus walked the earth many who were the supposed authorities on all things religious were being called on the carpet for their behaviour and abuse by Jesus and later his disciples.  One of these was a Pharisee and a wise man named Gamalial.  He made this comment about Jesus' disciples in Acts 5:38 "Therefore, in the present case I advise you: Leave these men alone! Let them go! For if their purpose or activity is of human origin, it will fail."  He knew that God could not be thwarted and he also did not want to be the one standing in his way either.  Something to think about before the heretic stamp is used.

Rob Bell has given a scriptural case for his opinion. As one of my theology professors always said "You do not have to agree with me but you have to make a case as to why you do not".   

Love wins - I like that.  Whether it is true or not is up to God.
Proverbs 21:30
"There is no wisdom, no insight no plan that can succeed against the Lord" .

There is my two cents.  I may be a heretic in the eyes of some  (maybe worse).  But I am not worried as we all know burnings at the stake are pretty rare these days. However, I may be leery of any sudden invites to a marshmallow roast!



2 comments:

markbraye said...

i am all about this book; one of the most important books to hit the Christian scene in a while.

you touch on something that bugs me too, Jason: people judging the content of this book without even reading it. it's cheesy at best; sleezy at worst.

Jason said...

I never knew you were a poet:)

Post a Comment