Sunday, June 19, 2011

"Good Enough"

Fix it Daddy!  How often have I heard my children cry out in misery those words?  It usually happens after my daughter has applied far too much force to Barbie's head (Barbie is not as tough as she looks) or when my son has attempted to alter a figurine's natural intended movement.  Fix it Daddy!  It can be a daunting challenge to any father.  This request has the potential to provide an opportunity for you to  puff your chest up like a victorious general.  It also has the possibility to decimate any ounce of self esteem you may have when you are unable to complete the task.  I wish I could say that I am always able to "fix it".  I admit I am not - do they have to make everything so breakable!?  The reality is that fathers are human. We are all limited in some way or other. We make mistakes. We make bad decisions.  We cannot always "fix it".  Although these limitations are obvious to me it never seems to diminish my effort to always try to fix everything. This stems partly from my own desire to relieve my own children of any suffering that may come their way but it is also because of the huge shadow that my own father casts.  He casts a huge shadow not just because of his slightly rotund girth (level of rotundness depends upon how many bakeries he visits for a prized chelsea bun) but because of the impression I always had of him while I was growing up.  As a child I was very observant and would watch much of what he did and and listen to what he said. Through this observing I came to believe that my father had everything under control at all times.  Regardless of the calamity that could occur during vacations - like flat tires or trailer issues - my father always appeared to be in control.  If the cat brought a live animal into the house my father could deal with it even if he had to chase a  bird around sans apparel having just gotten out of the tub.  If during a hockey game the ref was unable to make a correct call my father would always graciously point them in the right direction after a spirited discussion (control may not be the best descriptor for those moments of education).  For my Dad "fixing it" never seemed to be out of the realm of possibilities.

As I grow older and attempt to bring up my own children I find myself doing and saying the very things my father would do and say - although sometimes without as much colour.  For many children to grow up and realize they are becoming like their parents often it can generate a feeling similar to hitting your thumb with a hammer.  For me that is not so.  As I realize that I am becoming like my father a sense of comfort washes over me and I feel blessed.  Blessed by God that I was able to be taught how to be a man and a father by someone who even until this day has me convinced that he can fix all things or get them "good enough".

Today is Father's Day and I will no doubt consume a large quantity of red meat and while I do so I will be reminded of the huge shadow that my father has cast over me and I will think sarcastically "thanks dad".  But what I really mean though is a genuine "thanks dad".

Happy Father's Day - I love you.

Psalm 23:22a  Listen to your Father who gave you life...

1 comments:

markbraye said...

you're a rad dad, Jason.

Post a Comment