Friday, August 26, 2011

Seven

I write this today for my son.

Today you turn seven years old. No doubt you will be bounding everywhere with excitement because at seven years old birthdays are still fun. I am envious of you because you are still so innocent of the trials of the world and also because you will have absolutely no care as to how many calories you will consume.
As your father I am tasked with showing you how to be a good and honourable man who understands the importance of being a man of integrity. This is no small undertaking as I am still in the process of all of that as well. I will continue to do my best.
On this day your mother will be emotional because you are getting older and her baby is growing up. I on the other hand I will be stoic and strong knowing that you will be one more year closer to being able to shovel snow and cut grass.

I am thankful to God for granting me the privilege of helping to mold you. You make it so much fun. As I teach you I am also taught. I am taught more about the Father's love for his creation and his dedication and perseverance with us all.

Today you will receive presents that you have been salivating over for months - I hope you enjoy. My desire for you today though, is that you act your age - be seven today. I wish I was.
I know that you wish to grow quicker and be older but today be seven - as long as you can. Life will get fast enough and there is no turning back.

I look to the future with great anticipation believing that you will grow to become a fine man. But for now just be seven with all the energy that you give to everything.Today be seven and when no one is looking I will act like I am too.

Happy Birthday Bruiser - you bring great joy to my soul - I love you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment