Sunday, May 8, 2011

Aware

There are many days in the calendar that are celebrated with feasting.  By all of the signs advertising Mother's Day brunches this is obviously one of them!  I love feasting.  Today is great not because of all the food that will be consumed (although that is a good reason) but because it celebrates that precious gift from God - Mothers.  I have a mother (duh - we all do) and today I am thankful for her. I am thankful for all that I am unaware that has been done for my betterment and care. I am thankful for all the times that she has looked after me and I have been unaware of it. Of course I am grateful for the things I know as well. 

This awareness has happened because of my wife.  Not because she has told me, not because she has reminded me but because she has shown me.  My wife has shown me so much about my own mother by the way she cares for our children.  My wife teaches me  much about what being a mother is all about.  As she choses their clothes for the next day when they are sleeping (having cleaned them as well - and mine) to making their lunches for school to kissing them gentley on the forhead as they sleep having just replaced their covers I am made aware.  I am made aware of what it looks like when a mother cares for her children deeply.  So much that she does for them they may never know.  It is because of the "behind the scenes" love that she shows them that I am made aware more fully of the love my mother has for me which causes me to appreciate her more. Thank you both very much.

God has blessed me and given me many gifts but two of the best have been my mother and wife.  Today I thank my mother for her love, care and protection (and grade 12 diploma).  Today I thank my wife for caring for my children with a Godly tenderness and love revealing all of the unknowns about motherhood that make me love her for more reasons than I thought important. 

By being attentive loving mothers you have both taught me much about God - and you were probably never  aware.

Isaiah 66: 13  As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you ...

1 comments:

markbraye said...

excellent words, Jason.

i'm a more than blessed.

i have a great mother, wife, and two wonderful mother's in law.

Post a Comment